Re: Please unblock desktop-base/4.0.1

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
>  Package: desktop-base
>  Architecture: all
> -Recommends: epiphany-browser | konqueror | www-browser
> +Depends: librsvg2-common

 That was me in r70 of the debian-desktop SVN; I failed to document the
 cleanup of the browser I made.  Here's how it went:
 - we discussed Recommends versus Depends on librsvg2-common with Joey
   Hess since Recommends are not pulled by tasksel, so either you have
   to list the package you want pulled in by default in the task, or you
   depend on it; Joey Hess correctly suggested we depend on it
   (<http://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/2007/01/threads.html#00078>)
 - I went to do the switch to Depends from Recommends and noticed weird
   Recommends on browsers like you see above; these are in since forever
   (since the initial import to SVN), and they are weird because
   desktop-base is supposedly a data package
 - I decided to remove these since I knew we spent some time fixing the
   default browser situation in tasksel + meta-gnome2, and this seemed
   like a superfluous place to hardcode the browser dependency again and
   since the package had no HTML, or use of a browser
 - I failed to document the removal of the (IMO bogus) recommends on
   browsers above -- but I mentionned the rsvg dep

 So, sorry for missing that part; I think this removes potentially
 dangerous recommends on browsers which should be pulled in the
 desktop's meta packages instead, and not by the desktop-base
 meta-package.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>