Re: Please update ttf-dejavu

Hi All,

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 11:37:23AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2007 09:28, Frans Pop wrote:
> > So, no, I don't think dejavu should be hinted yet. I'd like to see a
> > bit more activity from the font people to check how things look _in_
> > the graphical installer first.
>
> I just noticed that the base size for ar and fa has increased too.
>
> Hmm. It is even increased for dz and hi, which are from different fonts.
> Could it be that these size increases are only due to the increased font
> size in the installer, and not at all to changes in dejavu? In that case
> it would be good if the screenshots for 13 could be updated using a
> current installer for better comparison.
> It would also mean that Christian's argument regarding the improvement for
> bn is invalid.

When taking the latest screenshots I've integrated the gtk-set-font
script currently used in g-i which changes default fontsize for some
languages (bn, ar, fa and other languages); this has nothing to do
with ttf-dejavu itself.
As suggeste by Frans on IRC, I've just created new screenshots for dejavu 2.13
using this new per-language size change, so that comparison makes more sense:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/20070203_dejavu2.13
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/20070202_dejavu2.14

> The problem with accents seems to be a more general regression. Compare
> also for example the accented y and N characters for be. These look fuzzy
> in 14 when compared to 13. (For the y the accent is centered better
> though.)
> Same goes for r, e and s for cs.
>
> IMHO this should be fixed.

I'll get in touch with upstream and hopefully come up with a patch ASAP:
will post some news here in a couple of days and let you know how things
evolve (will also file BRs to tack things more clearly).

regards,
Davide