Re: espeak 1.19-2

Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> writes:

> Mario Lang wrote:
>> I've just uploaded a new upstream version of espeak to sid, since
>> this version fixes some important issues, and adds changes that are
>> very important for the accessibility community:
>>
>> * 1.19 fixes a BigEndianness issue which made espeak build, but not
>>   run on platforms like PowerPC.
>> * A libespeak API change which allows programs using libespeak to
>>   retrieve speech data asynchronously.  This is going to be required
>>   for espeak-using software like gnome-speech (and possible
>>   speech-dispatcher).
>> * Improve some non-english languages as well as add totally new ones like
>>   French.
>>
>> I am convinced at least 1.19 should go into etch.  We should not release
>> with 1.16.

> Too many changes to review, I'm not willing to unblock it.

espeak[1] just slipped into etch days before the official freeze,
is not depended on by anything yet, and has a pretty small (and specific)
user base.
To claim all these changes have to be reviewed line by line for a unblock
is a bit very nitpicky in this case, don't you think?

> Do you want the current version in etch be removed?

No, I want espeak to be updated to 1.19.

If that is absolutely not possible, I'll have to request removal
since 1.16 has a big-endian issue anyway, which
amounts to a serious bug since the package is not working at all on some archs.
Besides, 1.16s API is sort of unusable for the typical app that would
like to use it.

1.19 fixes these things.

Please consider making an exception here for the sake
of the Debian Accessibility Project[2] user base.

[1] http://debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/software.html#espeak
[2] http://debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/

--
CYa,