Re: please consider smartmontools 5.37-1 for etch

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:54:11PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org> writes:
> > 5.37 contains consideral improvements for SATA drives and adds CCISS
> > support, pre-releases of 5.37 have been in experimental since three
> > months and 5.37-1 itself is in unstable now since the 21st of
> > Decemeber.
>
> Erm. The diff is enormous, due to a renaming from *.c to *.cpp. Besides
> that, there seem to be some big code changes, for example
>  os_linux.c                                          | 1527 ---
>  os_linux.cpp                                        | 1956 ++++
>
> I don't think that this should get a freeze exception. New upstream
> versions aren't really what we are trying to get in our frozen
> etch...
Well, the diff against 5.36 is quiet big but the diff against the
versions we had in experimental since 3 months is very small.
Smartmontools doesn't have many reverse dependencies and none that would
break if we move to 5.37 - however the kernel *did* change a lot in the
SATA and SCSI area during the last 8 months (5.36 is from last April)
and this is what 5.37 accounts for.
Cheers,
 -- Guido