Re: Request for an "etch-ignore carte blanche" for alternative texlive dependencies

Hi all!

My few cents.

On Die, 12 Dez 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> [rumors that texlive does not provide identical functionality compared
> to teTeX]
>
> I've never heard someone claim that.  There are some packages missing in
> texlive that were already obsolete when sarge's tetex was released, but
> still included in current tetex, but besides that I don't think there's
> any difference.

Umpf, this rumor is rubbish. As Frank said, there may be some old
packages which have been superseeded by other ones, and which are no
longer supported, but that's all.

> [ the bug reports we submitted so far do not specify exact dependencies
> to use ]
>
> Indeed, since this requires knowledge about the internals of the package
> that needs more than a cursory look at the sources.  The splitting of

Well. If the maintainers of the respective packages would provide as
with a list of necessary items (not only "latex") then we can do this.
But I will not go through tons of C/perl/python/whatever code to search
for LaTeX style files or fonts or whatever to find what is necessary.
Maintainers should know this.

And note that in all the bugs I have filed I told the maintainers a
suggestion, and also that they can contact me in case they need help.
Some did it, some did not respond at all.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
WEEM (n.)
The tools with which a dentist can inflict the greatest
pain. Formerly, which tool this was dependent upon the imagination and
skill of the individual dentist, though now, with technological
advances, weems can be bought specially.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff