Re: updated package: roundup 1.2.1-5 (was: Etch frozen!)

Hello Andi,

On Tue, 12.12.2006 at 12:18:44 +0100, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> Sorry, but that are way too many changes after freeze.

well, the 1.2.1-4 package version is much more broken, and it did take
so much time to clean up for a reason (and some RL factors I could not
influence).

> Freeze does really mean: No new changes unless really required.

I really think that *if* you could take a look at those two packages,
you'll find that the update *is* actually required. I also wrote to you
a few days before the freeze that I'm underway preparing the upgrade I
now uploaded when you first wrote about the imminent freeze.

> General package polishing should happen prior to the cleanup. And a
> change like moving configuration to /etc/default/roundup (which is
> something I really welcome) has an inherent risk of breakage.

It has much less breakage than you think because there are actually two
things done in /etc/default/roundup:

 * selecting a user id which defaults to 'roundup' (in case the file
   isn't there)
 * and selecting between using a sysv-style script or runit (service
   configuration), again defaulting to using the init.d script.

FWIW, the runit support in this package version actually works while
the runit support in the -4 package was still only heritage and highly
incompatible with runit versions younger than about a year.

Best,
--Toni++