Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

>   2) either move the individual affected drivers or just their firmware if
>   possible to non-free, and keep the cripled kernel in main.

This is certainly the last resort, in my opinion, but it isn't
"crippled".  Merely not supporting particular pieces of hardware, in a
world in which Linux *already* fails to support lots of popular
hardware, is not a disaster.  It's a shame, and we should avoid it if
we can, but it's a shame.

> 3) would be nicest, but it is a never ending task, and we can't do
> it. We could do 2), but even this will mean some serious work and
> possibly a delay of the etch release schedule, especially as we
> don't have a full audit of what files are exactly affected.

Life is rough.  The kernel team has had *ample* warning, since it was
midway through *sarge* that the rules became clear.

Thomas