Re: Please unblock testing migration of postgresql-7.4

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Thiemo!
>
> Thiemo Seufer [2006-07-16 21:42 +0100]:
> > > FWIW, I tried a build with today's unstable on mips, after enabling
> > > the server packages again. There was one failure in the testsuite:

> > > test geometry             ... ok
> > > test horology             ... failed (ignored)
>
> That's normal in 7.4, there is little I can do about it. It was fixed
> in 8.0, and it's nothing to worry about.
>
> > > The resulting sever packages installed fine, no obvious failure
> > > (but OTOH I don't know what a serious test would be).
>
> Merely passing the test suite is fine, so far it has failed right when
> trying to start postmaster.
>
> > In addition, I built with gcc-4.1. Since some (mostly FFI related) ABI
> > bugs were fixed between 3.3 and 4.0, this can explain the difference.
> >
> > I recommend to try a build without any mips/mipsel specific workarounds
> > (the horology failure appears to be normal, it happens also on other
> > architectures).
>
> Thank you for trying this out. However, I'm sceptical: postgresql-8.1
> still gives the same error when built with gcc-4.1:
>
>   http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=postgresql-8.1&ver=8.1.4-4&arch=mips&stamp=1152713470&file=log&as=raw
>   http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=postgresql-8.1&ver=8.1.4-4&arch=mipsel&stamp=1152713545&file=log&as=raw
>
> So maybe the buildds run some different package versions.

I did a rebuild on unstable/mips, no failures, packages install fine,
postmaster process runs. So the failure might be related to the buildd
environment.

> Also, bug
> 357603 has indicated that this was a problem with binutils, not with
> gcc (if using gcc-3.3 the problem occurs, too, and in Sarge it worked
> well with gcc-3.3).

I read that bug report, and blaming binutils sounds implausible to me.
At least I don't know of a change in binutils which would cause such
a bug, and postgresql seems to be the only package with that failure
mode.

Thiemo