Re: Please unblock testing migration of postgresql-7.4

Hi Thiemo!

Thiemo Seufer [2006-07-16 21:42 +0100]:
> > FWIW, I tried a build with today's unstable on mips, after enabling
> > the server packages again. There was one failure in the testsuite:

> > test geometry             ... ok
> > test horology             ... failed (ignored)

That's normal in 7.4, there is little I can do about it. It was fixed
in 8.0, and it's nothing to worry about.

> > The resulting sever packages installed fine, no obvious failure
> > (but OTOH I don't know what a serious test would be).

Merely passing the test suite is fine, so far it has failed right when
trying to start postmaster.

> In addition, I built with gcc-4.1. Since some (mostly FFI related) ABI
> bugs were fixed between 3.3 and 4.0, this can explain the difference.
>
> I recommend to try a build without any mips/mipsel specific workarounds
> (the horology failure appears to be normal, it happens also on other
> architectures).

Thank you for trying this out. However, I'm sceptical: postgresql-8.1
still gives the same error when built with gcc-4.1:

  http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=postgresql-8.1&ver=8.1.4-4&arch=mips&stamp=1152713470&file=log&as=raw
  http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=postgresql-8.1&ver=8.1.4-4&arch=mipsel&stamp=1152713545&file=log&as=raw

So maybe the buildds run some different package versions. Also, bug
357603 has indicated that this was a problem with binutils, not with
gcc (if using gcc-3.3 the problem occurs, too, and in Sarge it worked
well with gcc-3.3).

I'll try another upload of p-7.4 with mipsen re-enabled, I can always
disable it quickly again if it still fails.

Thanks for your investigations!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?