Re: Soname-changing libetpan upload request

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 07:15:19PM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> > Also, please don't do any shlib bumps anymore, unless coordinated with
> > the release team.

> I'm maintaining libetpan library package, that has two reverse-depends in
> debian (etpan-ng and sylpheed-claws-gtk2).

Three reverse-depends: sylpheed-claws-gtk2-extra-plugins.

> Recently upstream released a new version, libetpan 0.48, that changed
> soname. So I will have to rename package from libetpan8 to libetpan10.

> Reverse-depends of the library is only 2 source packages, and we are ready
> to do coordinated uploads of these packages so newer libetpan will be
> released with etch. I think it is good thing to do.

> However, because of the current release preparation stage, we are first
> asking release managers if it is ok to do it now.

Since all of these packages are currently free of RC bugs and the set of
affected packages is small, yes, feel free to go ahead with this transition.
This is not a promise that we'll let the transition into etch if it takes
too long, but there's no problem for you to try to start it.