Re: m68k release future

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 02:39:26PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >>    (c) not bother with an etch-equivalent release for m68k
> I'm very much for a stable release for m68k. It gives you something to
> run the buildd on or to reinstall from that you know works. With
> testing something breaks every day.
>
> I don't mind removing large amounts of packages from stable for
> m68k. Cut away anything that isn't working and not neccessary. Avoind
> diverting from the official stable sources unless something neccessary
> breaks.

So, right now you need to decide on which you want to focus on, getting
a etch equivalent release out, or getting a testing-m68k operational. It
might be possible to have both eventually, but you definitely need to
choose one now. If you want to do an etch-m68k you'll need to work out
what packages you want to drop, and how you're going to keep in sync
with etch proper now; the testing-m68k stuff will probably have to wait
'til after etch in that case.

Personally, I think m68k would be better served by having a testing-m68k
and taking occassional snapshots which serve as the supported stable-m68k
release, rather than worrying about something equivalent to etch itself.

And please note: while the security team /might/ be willing to do support
for a limited m68k-etch, you can't assume they will -- you really should
be ready to that support yourself in case they find themselves too busy
supporting sarge and etch on the release architectures.

Cheers,
aj