Re: How are things going?

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:53:06AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > There has also been, IIRC, some exchanges with Ian Jackson. Probably
> > more could be done here.
>
> I'm rather worried that there's been no apparent progress on getting
> Ian's Breaks support merged in, especially since in my limited
> understanding it's already present in Ubuntu and presumably being used
> there. That doesn't seem very good for cross-distro package
> compatability if our dpkg ignores the field.

The first patches were applied in the dpkg's repository.
This means that the svn version should support packages using Breaks (I
mean not reject them, but they will not use the content of these fields).

IIRC, the same remains to be done for dselect.

Before going farther, the next step must be pushing 1.13.22 to testing.
It was locked in unstable because of the perl RC bug, which caused dpkg to
FTBFS.

This version of dpkg is now in unstable since more than 3 months and
should have receive enough tests. I'm CCing debian-release to see if this
version can be pushed to testing.

Regarding the next dpkg version, the patch is quite large, but it's mostly
l10n stuff. Would the current 1.13.23 be acceptable to bypass the dpkg
freeze? [1]

If including the rest of the Breaks patches is also acceptable, I
volunteer to push it in the svn (after listening Ian's opinion; was there
any issue in Ubuntu?).

[1]
I'm putting some info about the diff between 1.13.21 (testing),
1.13.22 (unstable) and 1.13.23 (svn) at:
http://haydn.debian.org/~nekral-guest/dpkg/

 * 22_to_23.code.diff contains the diff between 1.13.22 and the current
   1.13.23 with only the code section (no l10n stuff).
 * 22_to_23.stats has some comments that associate the debian/changelog
   entries with the code changes.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral