Re: pilot-link migration (libpisock8 -> libpisock9)

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 03:55:57PM +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>
> > A new upstream version 0.12.x of pilot-link is now available. pilot-link
> > (0.11.8) provides a library package libpisock8 and the new version is
> > API incompatible so is named libpisock9 (for pilot-link 0.12.1). The
> > packages generated by pilot-link are available in experimental and are:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I rebuilt all of them. The results are:
> > - correctly rebuilt packages:
> >   jpilot
> >   jpilot-plugins
> >   kdepim-kfile-plugins
> >   kpilot ----- (but depends on libmal1, see below)
> >   libpda-pilot-perl
> >   libpisock++0c2
> >   libpisock-dev
> >   libpisync0
>
> Aren't the above three packages *from* pilot-link?  So that wouldn't
> seem to require a separate rebuild.

Yes. The 4 last packages are provided by pilot-link so, of course, they
compile with pilot-link 0.12.1.

> Also, I don't see libpisock++ in experimental;
> is it no longer being provided?  It doesn't seem to have any reverse deps in
> testing, so dropping it isn't really a problem AFAICS if this is what's
> happened.

Exact. The C++ API (libpisock++) is no more provided by pilot-link
0.12.x. I don't know why but the libpisock++ directory has been removed
from the source code. This package is not used by Debian so it should
not be a problem.

> > - fails to build (with the FTBFS bug number, with priority normal):
> >   evolution #341172
>
> > Maybe libmultisync-plugin-palm is now replaced by opensync-plugin-palm
> > (correctly rebuilt using the new API) as indicated in #338328. It may be the
> > occastion to remve some packages from Debian.
>
> Well, I don't imagine that we'll be dropping evolution from Debian for this
> reason.  341172 has a patch, but you report that it's not enough to get the
> package building with libpisock9.  Can you please work with the evolution
> maintainers to find a solution to this before uploading to unstable, since
> a blocked evolution in unstable can cause other problems rather quickly?

I discovered that sid has evolution 2.6.3 and the last upstream stable
version of evolution is 2.8.0 (see
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml). I also found a
patch to add support of pilot-link 0.12.x in evolution 2.8.0 in
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-pilot-list@gnome.org/msg00557.html.
Fortunately this patch also applies cleanly on evolution-2.6.3 and I was
able to rebuild the Debian evolution package.

I sent the needed patch to #341172 for inclusion.

> Otherwise, I don't have any objections to this transition.

Thanks

Bye,

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau@free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le camembert, L.R. --