Re: bin-NMU scheduling for python transition

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:16:28PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > The other two packages are arch: any and so can be binNMUed, but I'm
> > puzzled why they build-depend on python-all-dev if they only build
> > for the current version of python.  Perhaps this is something you
> > would like to fix with a sourceful upload?

> Actually, they build extensions for both versions of Python - 2.3 and
> 2.4; the dependencies are wrong; I guess I'll do a sourceful upload to
> get a higher build-dep on debhelper to ensure the deps are generated
> correctly, though.

Ah, if this was a problem caused by a previous version of debhelper, it
would have been fixable using just binNMUs.  Sorry for the trouble.

> > FWIW, I remain pretty unimpressed with the decision to make the
> > control fields optional in the python policy.  The pycentral-using
> > packages which are binNMUable for the transition have all already
> > been binNMUed using only the information in the Packages and Sources
> > files, but hunting down the list of binNMUable packages that aren't
> > using these fields will require a full, current source mirror and a
> > lot of unpacking and rooting around in source packages.

> You mean the XB-Python-Version or both? I must confess I failed to see
> a reason for XS-Python-Version, but I'm definately willing to include
> them in my packages if you say they're both useful.

Both.  XB-Python-Version tells which version of python a package is
currently built against, XS-Python-Version tells which versions it *could*
be built against.  Yes, there are some limitations to the current
specification of these fields, but their abandonment means having to pick
through source packages to try to accurately identify which packages are
binNMUable for python transitions, which means we save hardly any time at
all from the use of binNMUs.