Re: bin-NMU scheduling for python transition

Em Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:20:39 -0700
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> escreveu:

> Oi Gustavo,

Oi vorlon!

> turbojson and turbogears are arch: all packages and cannot be
> binNMUed.  It also doesn't look like they need to be -- they depend
> on python (>= 2.4) | python2.4, which is satisfied just fine.

Oh, sorry, I thought they could be and did not pay enough atention to
notice they were problematic for their dependency on the other packages.

> The other two packages are arch: any and so can be binNMUed, but I'm
> puzzled why they build-depend on python-all-dev if they only build
> for the current version of python.  Perhaps this is something you
> would like to fix with a sourceful upload?

Actually, they build extensions for both versions of Python - 2.3 and
2.4; the dependencies are wrong; I guess I'll do a sourceful upload to
get a higher build-dep on debhelper to ensure the deps are generated
correctly, though.

> FWIW, I remain pretty unimpressed with the decision to make the
> control fields optional in the python policy.  The pycentral-using
> packages which are binNMUable for the transition have all already
> been binNMUed using only the information in the Packages and Sources
> files, but hunting down the list of binNMUable packages that aren't
> using these fields will require a full, current source mirror and a
> lot of unpacking and rooting around in source packages.

You mean the XB-Python-Version or both? I must confess I failed to see
a reason for XS-Python-Version, but I'm definately willing to include
them in my packages if you say they're both useful.

Thanks,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
http://people.debian.org/~kov/