Re: gcj and etch freeze

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:39:15PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Steve Langasek writes:
> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:42:03AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > It's a little weird.  The package that puts the plugin into firefox dir (via
> > > symlink) is java-gcj-compat-plugin, but gcjwebplugin-4.1 contains the actualy
> > > object.  I suppose when a few versions of gcjwebplugin-X.Y exist,
> > > java-gcj-compat-plugin will decide which one is more suitable by changing the
> > > dependency and the symlink.

> > That sounds like a terrible amount of complexity to me.  I can't imagine why
> > it would ever be beneficial to carry more than one version of gcjwebplugin
> > around in the archive at a time.

> gcjwebplugin doesn't have it's own source anymore. it's in classpath
> (and gcj-4.1). gcjwebplugin-4.1 is compiled to native code and ensures
> that the gij runtime is used with it.

None of which sounds to me like a reason to ship multiple copies.  The
security implications of any one version are bad enough, without having
multiple versions to worry about; so I would fervently hope that by the time
we're ready to ship gcjwebplugin in stable we would have this narrowed down
to a single upstream version that works on all archs we're going to support.
(Indeed, it looks like gcj-4.1 is the only supported version of gcj for etch
anyway?)