Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

> On Aug 08, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
>
> > Yes.  There is the option of simply not supporting installation on
> > the devices in question.
> i.e. screwing our users.

Why do you think people use debian?  It's not the most up to date
distro or the most stable (damn close though).  Historically
it's been the most free however.  I use debian because I see free
software as ethical software. From my POV, putting non-free modules
into the kernel without labeling them as such is not unlike putting
pork in a kosher sausage.  It's a betrayal of trust.

I'm afraid you'd be screwing your users either way.

IMHO you should stick to what makes debian unique, the uncompromising
commitment to only distributing under open licenses. Users who find
their hardware unsupported can go elsewhere.  Open source zealots who
want their software pure have debian.