Fwd: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
Date: Jul 24, 2006 6:43 AM
Subject: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0

...will ship with Linux 2.6.17 as itsdefault kernel. This kernel will
be used across all architectures and on the installer. A later version
may be selected during a review in October.
==================

Please see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/07/msg00188.html

And, as Brian Durant pointed out, this isn't just about the iMac G5
but also the Power Mac G5 (PowerMac 9.1) as well. In fact, Debian
chokes on most of Apple's newer PowerPC machines. I and many others
had been looking to Etch as a solution, but it won't provide one with
2.6.17 and I'm not looking forward to the potential of waiting through
the lifetime of another stable release before gaining support.

It's important, IMHO, that 2.6.17 _not_ be selected as the default
kernel but rather 2.6.18 (or later) for the reasons discussed on
debian-powerpc... even if that means delaying the release of Etch.