Re: powerpc64, multiarch vs biarch and etch ... (Was: bits from the release team: release goals, python, X.org, amd64, timeline)

Le Mer 31 Mai 2006 08:46, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Maybe, but biarch are what we have now, and what can be made to
> > work. I asked this same question 6+ month ago, and you gave me the
> > same reply, and multi-arch has not progressed an inch since then.
>
> This is wrong. Sven, please stop saying that nothing changed when
> you're simply annoyed that it's not finished yet.
>
> In the last 6 months we had:
> - multiarch support added to ld by Aurelien jarno

yes but that work was partial, because to be fully multiarch-ready, libc
needs a split into libc6/libc6-bin that was refused.

> - a report from HP/Canonical about how to go forward

wich do not states anything new, only gather the informations/ideas that
already existed in one PDF, that's good, but nothing brilliant in that
document.

> - another proposition from Goswin van Brederlow (see his recent work
> and bugreports on -dpkg)

this is proposals, but not really action.

It's not that I want to say that proposals are evil, but sven is not
completely wrong. multiarch needs a lot of *work* to be done, where the
single first line of code to achieve that is not really written. In
your list, the sole usable tangible work is Aurélien's.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit