Re: powerpc64, multiarch vs biarch and etch ... (Was: bits from the release team: release goals, python, X.org, amd64, timeline)

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 01:26:16PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 12:05:26PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > another month has passed and DebConf happened, so we have a few more
> > changes to announce.

> > Release Goals
> > =============

> I guess from the above, and previous mails from the multi-arch proposers,
> that this means that multi-arch is now dead for etch, right ?

I don't see that anything in that mail should be interpreted as a statement
either for or against multiarch in etch.  We certainly aren't going to be
endorsing 0-day NMUs for multiarch when the current blockers all relate to
the groundwork that has to be implemented in the base packages -- this is
work that needs to be done, or at least approved of, by the respective
maintainers.

> Does this mean that if we want userland powerpc64 support, that we should
> push biarch version of some of the libs needed by those tools needing
> 64bit access ?  We already have a few of those in the archive.

Biarch is a horrible, non-scalable, bletcherous design.  With or without
multiarch support, the fewer biarch packages there are in the archive, the
better, IMHO.

But I'm not an ftpmaster, so MHO doesn't actually count for much here since
I'm not the one who decides how many biarch packages are too many.