linux-2.6 testing migration

It's been a rather long time since the linux-2.6 in testing has gotten
updated. I count something like 24 security holes[1] in the version in
testing that would be fixed if we could get a release in from unstable.
We also cannot really release a new version of d-i until the new kernel
goes in (unless we go back and base it on an old kernel and not include
amd64 -- yugh).

Of the RC bugs:

#368544, #368667
	Only bugs on the version in experimental, although britney doesn't
	realize that.
#349354
	The sarge upgrade issue. However, AFAICS 2.6.15 in testing also
	has the same issues so this shouldn't block a new version from
	testing.
#365455
	Support for some minor powerpc subarches is lost in the new version
	of the kernel. Presumably this includes bug #359025. Given all the
	other reasons for updating it, the words "omlette" and "eggs" come
	to mind. :-/

Other issues:

* NEW
	Quite a lot of the arches have the newest version of linux-2.6
	stuck in NEW for a week. I assume the ftpmasters will fix this soon.
* missing hppa build
	The build started on May 22nd, I assume it went missing.
* release frequency
	The kernel team tends to release new versions more frequently
	than their urgency could let them into testing (average time
	between uploads for 2.6.16 is on the order of 4 days). We either
	need to get very lucky on timing or they need to decide to put off
	uploading the latest and greatest release long enough for the
	previous release to get to testing.

IMHO something needs to be done about this soon, or having an old kernel in
testing will begin to hurt us. I suggest that as soon as the current
version has all builds in unstable we call a moritorium on new kernel
uploads to unstable unless they're to fix RC bugs and force it into
testing.

--
see shy jo

[1] Probably really more.