Re: #369233: libradius1-dev: either fix or stop shipping a broken /usr/lib/libradiusclient.la

This one time, at band camp, sean finney said:
> hey -release,
>
> executive summary, .la file shipped in libradius1-dev was not
> correctly built and breaks any libtool-using software that
> needs to build against the package.
>
> i was wondering if i could get a bit of feedback on this one.  my
> inclination is that the severity ought to be important, though i've
> had recommendations that it should be higher.  moreover, i wonder
> if this would warrant an update to s-p-u or not.  the patch would
> be relatively simple (sed -e 's/^installed=no/installed=yes/'), but
> the scope of the problem is fairly limited...

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the current maintainer of
radius has indicated to me that he may not have time to keep up with
radius maintainership, and I am looking at taking it over.  I am happy
to drop the .la files altogether, but I do worry a bit about the
transition for packages that build depend transitively on it, as we saw
with the X breakage.

If someone has a plan that would allow this to go smoothly, I would be
glad to hear it.