Re: linux-2.6 testing migration

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 02:02:38PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> It's been a rather long time since the linux-2.6 in testing has gotten
> updated. I count something like 24 security holes[1] in the version in
> testing that would be fixed if we could get a release in from unstable.
> We also cannot really release a new version of d-i until the new kernel
> goes in (unless we go back and base it on an old kernel and not include
> amd64 -- yugh).

> Of the RC bugs:

> #368544, #368667
> 	Only bugs on the version in experimental, although britney doesn't
> 	realize that.

Tagged experimental now, so britney should have no problem understanding
now.

> #349354
> 	The sarge upgrade issue. However, AFAICS 2.6.15 in testing also
> 	has the same issues so this shouldn't block a new version from
> 	testing.

Right -- may require manual overriding due to britney's current lack of
version tracking support.

> #365455
> 	Support for some minor powerpc subarches is lost in the new version
> 	of the kernel. Presumably this includes bug #359025. Given all the
> 	other reasons for updating it, the words "omlette" and "eggs" come
> 	to mind. :-/

<nod>

> Other issues:
>
> * NEW
> 	Quite a lot of the arches have the newest version of linux-2.6
> 	stuck in NEW for a week. I assume the ftpmasters will fix this soon.

Seems to be resolved now.

> * missing hppa build
> 	The build started on May 22nd, I assume it went missing.

According to
<http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?pkg=linux-2.6&arch=hppa&ver=2.6.16-14&stamp=1148321402&file=log>,
this is a build failure.  There's also an unrelated build failure on mipsel.
It's not *completely* insane to push 2.6.16 in without these two archs, but
I'd rather avoid the complications this causes later and just get a proper
package into unstable now that builds where it should.

> * release frequency
> 	The kernel team tends to release new versions more frequently
> 	than their urgency could let them into testing (average time
> 	between uploads for 2.6.16 is on the order of 4 days). We either
> 	need to get very lucky on timing or they need to decide to put off
> 	uploading the latest and greatest release long enough for the
> 	previous release to get to testing.

This is certainly something the kernel team needs to be aware of; cc:ed.