Re: clarification of doc licensing for db3/db4.2

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 09:00:16AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

> >> Have we already gotten rid of db4.3?  That's a better place to start
> >> than getting rid of db4.2, as db4.3 had serious issues and at least
> >> some of the packages linked against db4.2 were doing that specifically
> >> to avoid db4.3.  db4.3 had serious issues with OpenLDAP in particular
> >> and the OpenLDAP developers recommended avoiding that release entirely.

> > Had the OpenLDAP developers ever been able to substantiate any of their
> > claims?

> Was there actually any debate over the problems with disabling transaction
> logging on db4.3 which led to extremely slow performance with slapadd?  I
> thought everyone agreed on that.

> That's the largest and most noticable issue.  Quanah's reported other
> problems as well in edge cases.  It's a moot point at this point since
> db4.4 is out and (suitably patched) will work fine for OpenLDAP.

What does "suitably patched" mean?  FWIW, based on the experience with sarge
on db.debian.org, I regard the sarge slapd packages as something of a
disaster:  having to add indices to all searchable attribs to prevent slapd
from getting stuck in a busy loop, having db4.2_verify return warnings
consistently whether or not it's a fresh database load...

Yes, I know Quanah thinks 2.2.23 was a bad version to have released sarge
with, but that sure didn't stop upstream from releasing it *to* us as a
nominally stable version in the first place.

Anyway, I'm certainly game for getting things moved to whichever version of
libdb actually works best, but so far the OpenLDAP recommendations don't
really seem to have amounted to much given that the ldbm backend was
abandoned for "stability" reasons only to be replaced by a BDB backend that
hasn't worked right with any of the libdb packages in Debian so far, despite
these same libdb versions working well for all other packages I know of.

And none of that gets us away from the DFSG problems of the db4.2-doc
license in any case.  db4.3-doc and db4.4-doc are the ok ones; if there's a
need to keep db4.2-doc around, I guess someone will need to talk to upstream
again.