Re: clarification of doc licensing for db3/db4.2

Please forward this as appropriate.  I wasn't sure what was appropriate, so I
sent it to -release only (for archival purposes, that's where people will
look for this sort of analysis).

aba wrote:
>However, given both history and that db4.2 was quite much used in sarge
>(and db3 was still in major use), I doubt a bit that we can manage that
>in time for etch.

Well... we might be able to.  Here's a quick analysis....

Non-GNOME 1 packages in unstable depending on libdb3 (source packages):
  xemacs21
  xcin
  reprepro
  libtabe-db
  libdb3-ruby -- only one (!) reverse depends: aswiki.
  hotkeys
  exim
  dhelp
  cyrus21-imapd

Well, that's a small enough list to deal with....

There are a lot of packages in unstable depending on libdb3; however, almost
all of them are GNOME 1 packages with spurious dependencies dragged in by
GNOME 1, which has recursive dependency disease.  (It is possible that some
of the GNOME 1 packages other than the one causing the problem actually do
use libdb3; I only checked through telegnome before I got bored).

If it's possible to convert GNOME 1 to use a recent libdb, that would
eliminate most of the packages depending on libdb3 in one swell foop.  It may
not be possible.  If GNOME 1 could be properly fixed to use Debian's libtool,
etc., this might help show what's really going on, too.  :-P

Anyway, maybe some of this GNOME 1 junk could be removed entirely?
Particularly the orphaned packages, but there's other stuff which looks like
it has better alternatives or is obsolete.  And perhaps we could make another
push to get people to convert stuff to GNOME 2?  (Or, in a few cases, to drop
the GNOME dependency for what seem to be basically GTK packages?)

GNOME 1 packages in unstable depending on libdb3 (source packages):
  yank
  xwine
  xgsmlib -- orphaned
  terraform
  telegnome
  spacechart
  soundtracker
  snac
  sgcontrol
  sanduhr -- orphaned
  r-omegahat-rgtk
  python-gnome-1.2 -- orphaned
  powershell
  pimppa
  nethack-gnome
  multi-gnome-terminal -- orphaned
  mathwar
  lightlab
  gtkhtml
  gnome-print
  gnomemm
  gnome-libs
  gnome-ruby
  libgtk-perl
  libglade
  gal0.x
  gtoaster
  gtktalog
  gtkhtml
  gtkgo
  gsmartcard -- orphaned
  groach
  gpredict
  gpr
  gphotocoll
  gpgp
  gnucash
  gnomp3
  gnomermind
  gnomekiss
  gnome-think -- orphaned
  gnome-pim
  gnome-lokkit
  gnome-iconedit
  gnome-find
  gnome-chess
  gnome-breakout
  gnoise-gnome
  gnobog
  gmanedit
  glotski
  gipsc
  gfslicer
  gfontview
  gconf
  gbib
  gbatnav -- orphaned
  gaby
  gabber
  fvwm (the bizarre fvwm-gnome package)
  fpm
  fidelio
  drip
  directory-administrator
  cronosii
  coriander
  cheops-ng
  bonobo-conf
  bombermaze
  bacula-console-gnome

Now for the much shorter list of packages depending on db4.2.
From what I've heard, switching from db4.2 to db4.4 is not very hard
(unlike switching from db3 to db4.x, which apparently requires some actual
work).  However, these contain some much more important packages, so
user data transitioning may be a large issue in such updates.

Packages in unstable depending on libdb4.2 (source packages):
  heimdal
  exim4
  openldap2.2 (slapd binary package)
  cyrus-sasl2
  openoffice.org (openoffice.org-core binary package)
  cyrus-imapd-2.2
  webalizer
  ultrapossum-slapd-modules
  ultrapossum-slapd
  sylpheed-claws-maildir-plugin
  sylpheed-claws-gtk2
  sylpheed-claws-gtk2-etpan-privacy
  spamprobe
  sendmail
  rivet
  radiusd-livingston
  poedit
  onak
  nmh
  netatalk
  wvstreams
  gift-openft
  evolution-data-server
  libetpan
  dspam
  libdb4.2-ruby -- only two reverse depends: rbot and gonzui
  chise-base
  apr-util1.0
  libapache2-mod-xmlrpc2
  libapache2-mod-jk