Re: clarification of doc licensing for db3/db4.2

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

>> Have we already gotten rid of db4.3?  That's a better place to start
>> than getting rid of db4.2, as db4.3 had serious issues and at least
>> some of the packages linked against db4.2 were doing that specifically
>> to avoid db4.3.  db4.3 had serious issues with OpenLDAP in particular
>> and the OpenLDAP developers recommended avoiding that release entirely.

> Had the OpenLDAP developers ever been able to substantiate any of their
> claims?

Was there actually any debate over the problems with disabling transaction
logging on db4.3 which led to extremely slow performance with slapadd?  I
thought everyone agreed on that.

That's the largest and most noticable issue.  Quanah's reported other
problems as well in edge cases.  It's a moot point at this point since
db4.4 is out and (suitably patched) will work fine for OpenLDAP.