Re: Evo 2.6 will need a slight transition

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 12:08:30AM +0200, Heikki Henriksen wrote:

> As seen in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/04/msg00059.html ,
> evolution 2.6 will need to have a slight transition, due to a
> so-name-bump of libedataserver, which a number of packages depend on.

> This is a controlled transition, and I've already filed bugs to warn all
> the packages involved.

> However, it will have to wait until the gnome-stack has finished
> rebuilding due to the libXrender.la/libXcursor.la-issues, and tonight I
> also discovered that libsoup2.2 and gnome-vfs2 will need rebuilds due to
> the the upload of libgnutls13.

They should not need rebuilds *for* the gnutls13 upload.  libgnutls12 is
still present in testing and unstable, and gnutls13 should transition
smoothly into testing without requiring rebuilds of any other packages, so
there is no urgency in rebuilding anything against libgnutls13 (to my
knowledge).  It's true that any new uploads that build-depend on
libgnutls-dev will link against libgnutls13 now, but that shouldn't be a
problem.

A full transition to libgnutls13 is advisable once other libs have settled
down a bit.

> Because of these, evo2.6 doesn't even build against unstable at the
> moment.

> But, I would hope to get this thing going as soon as all the right
> pieces are in place, as the missing evolution 2.6 keeps the rest of
> gnome 2.14 from being uploaded to unstable (gnome-panel and its
> dependencies).

> This (and the rest of gnome for that matter) will luckily not get
> tangled up in the x11-common-transition, but the way things seems at the
> moment, that will probably be over before we can go on with uploading
> the new evo and friends to unstable.

I'm not sure of this.  I haven't done a comprehensive review of the packages
currently using /usr/X11R6/bin to make sure none of these packages use GNOME
libs; if any do, and if the packages are significant, a GNOME shlibs bump
could still delay the xorg transition.

So I would appreciate it if you would continue to hold off for a few days
before uploading the new evo packages, while we put together a clearer
picture.