Re: bin-NMU of nagios 1.x packages in unstable?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 08:40:02PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > nagios-mysql depends on nagios-common (= ${Source-Version})
>
> > so when nagios-mysql is bumped without bumping nagios-common, we
> > have our current situation.
>
> Which is no worse than the previous situation, of nagios-mysql being
> uninstallable because libmysqlclient15 is no longer available.

right.

> > followed by a
>
> > bug#465656 fixed, we made the binNMUed
>
> > two hours later.
>
> And I'm not interested in having to close such bugs. :)

right, that's kind of superfluous and overkill.  however, i still think
it would be nice if at the end of a binNMU upload something fired off
an email to $foo@packages.debian.org saying "your package has just been
binNMU'd by debian-release, fyi" (providing more info would be even
better).  I'm not sure if that would be better addressed in the archive
scripts or in whatever triggered the binNMU in the first place.  in my
situation there was no notification, no changelog entry, nothing in the
packages.qa.d.o page, etc.

> In the general case one cannot know, a priori, that a given version of a
> package will be compatible with future Debian revisions of a related
> package.  I don't think maintainers that are concerned about such
> incompatibilities should be asked to change their package dependencies just
> to support binNMUs.  The right solution here *is* to enhance dpkg-dev so
> that it knows the difference between source and binary versions.

agreed, and that's not something i want to have to support.  i think i saw
this discussed on d-d a few months back but don't recall anything coming of it.

	sean