Re: bin-NMU of nagios 1.x packages in unstable?

On 2006-03-28 sean finney <seanius@debian.org> wrote:
> i got a grave bug reported against nagios recently (#359637), because
> nagios is no longer installable in unstable.  it looks like
> someone's bin-NMU'd it on 2006/03/20, along with the other
> arch:any packages.

> my best guess is that this has to do with the recent mysql
> versioning vs our versioning of symbols fiasco with libmysqlclient15,
> but there are a couple questions that have me a bit concerned, or
> at least curious:

> - am i correct?

Afaict yes, all packages linking against limysql15 have been Bin-NMUd

> - why was no bug reported against my package before the binNMU?
> - why was i not informed of the binNMU afterwards?

The mysql-problem could be fixed by a simple recompilation of all
involved packages (because the breakage does not apply to any stable
release), and nowadays the release team has the means to this
painlessly.

At least I as a package maintainer am not very interested in:

bug#465656 mysql breakage.
dear maintainer please do not make a sourceful upload, we (d-r)
willhandle this using binNMUs.

followed by a

bug#465656 fixed, we made the binNMUed

two hours later.

> the big problem here is that the new packages have a bumped
> debian revision.  of course this makes sense (and a future
> upload by me will make these packages disappear), but it
> has in the meantime silently rendered nagios uninstallable
> because there is a "sourceful" (sorry, not quite sure what the
> correct terminology is) depends on nagios-common.  that is:

> nagios-mysql depends on nagios-common (= ${Source-Version})

> so when nagios-mysql is bumped without bumping nagios-common, we
> have our current situation.
[...]

Imho being incompatible with binNMUs is a bug, the dependency clearly
is too strict, as nagios-mysql 2:1.3-cvs.20050402-12+b1 surely _would_
work with nagios-common 2:1.3-cvs.20050402-12. Wouldn't

Depends: nagios-common (=> ${upstreamversion}), nagios-common (<= ${upstreamversion}.0)

work for you?

You'd need something like this in debian/rules:
UPSTREAMVERSION :=      $(shell dpkg-parsechangelog | sed -n '/^Version: /{s/^Ve
[...]

dh_gencontrol -- -Vupstreamversion=$(UPSTREAMVERSION)

cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute