Re: binNMUs for tagcoll, debtags and libapt-front

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 05:34:26PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:44:09PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > > Superfantastically weird: I thought I deinstalled gcc 4.1 before
> > > building the packages.  Maybe I have some stray library hanging
> > > around...
> > That's why one should use pbuilder or so.

> <frustration>
> I'd like to.  And I get told every time trouble happens.  And every time
> I answer that:

>  - I have a chain of 3 dependecies (libtagcoll -> libapt-front ->
>    debtags) that would require me to rebuild the mirror for pbuilder
>    every time I compile one of them, and I still haven't figured out how
>    to do it automatically.

There's no reason it has to be pbuilder.  If you have enough room to run a
static chroot, you could do that instead; possibly using sbuild/schroot.
These days, I'm using schroot together with lvm snapshots for my builds,
because I'm fortunate enough to have space for that.

>  - Maintaining my packages is a big headache already and having to
>    maintain a complex build environment won't help.

Er, then don't install packages in the build environment you *are* using
that didn't come from unstable?  I'm sorry, but I consider maintaining a
build environment suitable for uploads to unstable to be a basic
responsibility of any maintainer.  You're certainly not required to set up
complex build environments, but it is expected that packages you upload are
built against unstable.

>  - I'd like to setup a pbuilder + piuparts upload queue on my server at
>    home, but it's an amd64 and I can't upload packages built there yet.

Well, for one thing, it's trivial to set up an i386 chroot for amd64 and do
package builds in an i386 context.  (Particularly trivial with schroot,
these days...)

And of course, source uploads on amd64 should be allowed pretty soon anyway.

>    And then I wouldn't know how to sign stuff since I don't have the key
>    on that server.  And I can't put my key on that server since it's
>    constantly exposed to the internet and I run services on it.

debsign has a nice -r option for remote signing.  I think dpkg-sig has
something similar.