Re: hdf5 transition

* Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> [2006-03-20 07:58]:

> both 2.1 and 2.9 packages of Octave have been semi-automatically been
> updated to a new hdf5 library.
>
> changelog:
> octave2.1 (1:2.1.72-12+b1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * Binary-only non-maintainer upload for i386; no source changes.
>   * Rebuild against libhdf5 1.6.5
>
>  -- Debian/i386 Build Daemon <buildd_i386-cyberhq>  Fri, 17 Mar 2006
> 21:31:52 -0800
>

> I don't have a clue, why a transition to 1.6.5 is so urgent (it hit
> unstable 3 days ago). Does anybody have an idea about this?

I think that once hdf_1.6.5 will enter testing, the transition package
hdf5_1.6.4-0c2 will be removed from the archive.  This will stale all the
packages in testing depending on the 1.6.4-0c2 version.  The same
semi-automatic update as above was done for other packages like mpb and
tessa. See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2006/03/msg00086.html

The release team is apparently taking care of this.  However, since I am
not subscribed to the debian-release mailing list, I only discovered the
post above today.  My understanding is that we should not upload new
versions of octave2.1 and octave2.9 until the aging period is finished.

I am hence Cc:ing this message to the debian-release mailing list, along
with the following request to whoever did the upload of the new
binary-compatible packages:  the next time such uploads are done, could
you please keep the maintainers informed?

Thanks,

--
Rafael