Re: binNMUs for tagcoll, debtags and libapt-front

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:44:09PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > Superfantastically weird: I thought I deinstalled gcc 4.1 before
> > building the packages.  Maybe I have some stray library hanging
> > around...
> That's why one should use pbuilder or so.

<frustration>
I'd like to.  And I get told every time trouble happens.  And every time
I answer that:

 - I have a chain of 3 dependecies (libtagcoll -> libapt-front ->
   debtags) that would require me to rebuild the mirror for pbuilder
   every time I compile one of them, and I still haven't figured out how
   to do it automatically.
 - Maintaining my packages is a big headache already and having to
   maintain a complex build environment won't help.
 - I've asked for comaintainers but noone able to do the job has offered
   help.  Well, one has, but every time I asked him something he told me
   he's busy, so I gave up asking him.
 - I don't have a local mirror.
 - I often compile my packages on an airplane.
 - I'd like to setup a pbuilder + piuparts upload queue on my server at
   home, but it's an amd64 and I can't upload packages built there yet.
   And then I wouldn't know how to sign stuff since I don't have the key
   on that server.  And I can't put my key on that server since it's
   constantly exposed to the internet and I run services on it.
</frustration>

This said, I'll welcome anyone who'd sit down with me at the next
AnyConf and help me setup a suitable pbuilder environment that:

 - I can use offline on my laptop.
 - Allows me to prepare an upload on battery power.
 - Doesn't require me more effort to maintain the building environment
   than to maintain my Debian packages.

Until that happens, I'll build my packages on the best that my system is
able to do.  If it'll screw up, I'll try to fix it.  If that is not
acceptable, either someone offers to comaintain and builds and uploads
the packages properly, or I'll be happy to orphan my packages and do the
happy upstream.

Ciao,

Enrico