Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Re: hdf5 transition

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:51:40PM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2006-03-20 01:04]:

> > Do you mind if I ask why you feel such notification is important?

> Because I, for instance, was not aware of the bin-NMU until Thomas sent
> his message this morning and after I have browsed the debian-release
> archive.  I would then happily upload new versions of octave2.1 and
> octave2.9 and unintentionally delay the hdf5 transition.

Well, as noted, the hdf5 transition shouldn't really be regarded as urgent.
From my POV, if you had uploaded new versions and delayed the transition,
that wouldn't have been a problem. :)

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:23:12PM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:

> > Steve, you probably should create a little "transitions FAQ" entry
> > in the developers reference to not always have to answer to the same
> > wrong proposals of developers who only do a transition once every couple
> > of years :)

> I fail to see what's so wrong about an (automated) email stating that a
> package is currently undergoing a transition.

Probably nothing, but no such automation is in place today, and to me it
doesn't seem worth the effort to try to automate it.  When we get into
transitions that are critical, or where there's a known danger of
transitions getting tangled together, I certainly make a point to send out
mails.