[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: To block GNOME 2.10 or not

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:30:43AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> the GNOME team is facing a dillema regarding the migration of GNOME 2.10
> to sarge. The issue comes from #313219 : basically, gnomeVFS 2.10
> crashes when running over a 2.4 kernel. This comes from a bug in glibc,
> which is solved in the experimental version.

> Currently, we have let a bug opened on gnomeVFS, so that it waits for
> the new glibc in unstable - I was told it is to be uploaded to unstable
> soon. However, with the unavoidable delay the glibc migration to testing
> will face, we'll be stuck without GNOME 2.10 in etch for a few weeks.
> Things could get worse if it overlaps with some scheduled transitions
> (gcc 4.0, python).

> I was also told that Linux 2.4 isn't supported in etch anymore. If this
> is the case, we could as well tell testing users to upgrade to Linux
> 2.6.

I would like this to be the case, but we're still a long way from it being
anything more than wishful thinking.  A number of architectures are still
2.4-only in the archive right now.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: