Re: Please, accept mozilla-firefox-locale-all 1.0.4lang20050515-1 for Sarge

El Martes 31 Mayo 2005 16:50, Steve Langasek escribió:
> Cesar,
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:50:43PM +0300, Cesar Martinez Izquierdo wrote:
> > I know that the release team is very overloaded, so I'm sorry about
> > making a second call to accept this package in Sarge, but I want to be
> > sure that you don't forget about it.
> >
> > The version in Sid fixes a RC bug (the version in sarge lacks of postinst
> > and postrm for the binary package mozilla-firefox-theme-rtlclassic). It
> > is not in the BTS because nobody reported it and the new version was
> > uploaded as soon as I realized about it.
>
> This makes it very difficult to evaluate *why* this bug is RC, because your
> changelog only says that the maintainer scripts were missing without
> explaining why the package is broken without them.  Please explain.

Sorry about that. I explain now:

postint and postrm just call the script update-mozilla-firefox-chrome.

This script updates the Firefox chrome, which is a kind of database about
installed themes extensions (including translations).

Therefore, on installation postint makes Firefox to be aware of the new theme
(otherwise will be invisible for Firefox).

On removal, postrm makes Firefox to realize that the theme is not installed
anymore (otherwise, firefox thinks that it is still there, and if you have
this theme active, then firefox will start in an totally unusable way: there
will be no theme, so only some text from the menus will be displayed, in a
totally messy way, and there will be no buttons, etc)

Now some facts that might downgrade the severity of the bug:

- There is an easy work-around: run update-mozilla-firefox-chrome by hand
after installing and after removing the package.

- 99% of people will install mozilla-firefox-theme-rtlclassic together with
mozilla-firefox-locale-he-il (or mozilla-firefox-locale-ar). In this case,
the -he-il or -ar packages will execute update-firefox-theme-rtlclassic, so
the problem will not be present on installation.
 However, on removal the theme is removed after the -he-il package, so the
problem is still there.

Finally, also consider that the version in Sid adds two languages (Bulgarian
and Punjabi).

Thanks a lot for your time,

  Cesar