Re: extra, unused versions of gmime in sarge

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:20:39PM -0400, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> søn, 22,.05.2005 kl. 00.10 -0700, skrev Steve Langasek:
> > Having four versions of gmime in a stable release means a four-fold increase
> > in the security team's workload if a security bug is found.  (This is true
> > even if the bug only applies to one version, because the security team still
> > has to confirm whether the bug is present in each version.)

> Well, I already said the first one could be removed, so that leaves
> three to consider. To clarify the position:

> gmime: I can't imagine anyone using it
> gmime1: usage unknown, do people still use glib1.2 much?
> gmime2: stable branch of gmime
> gmime2.1: unstable branch of gmime

> So I'm not really opposed to removing gmime1, I just thought it was
> possible that someone would use it in favor of gmime2 because they
> haven't switched to glib2.0 yet. I don't personally care, though, after
> all I RFA-ed gmime once, but only got someone to put their name on
> gmime2 (so now Guus has it), not the older stuff... so if you drop my
> two versions, that just means less burden for me. As for the other two,
> Guus would know more...

Ok, thanks; I'll push gmime and gmime1 out of testing then.  AFAIK, the only
projects still using glib1.2 are either very large projects, or very
stagnant projects that have not yet converted; the former are probably
things in the archive (like gnucash), none of which seem to use gmime, and
the latter don't seem like a very good reason to keep a library around. :)

If gmime2 represents a stable branch of the software that's still needed,
then that's fine.  Still, as noted there are no packages in sarge using
gmime2 -- only gmime2.1...

Ove, gmime and gmime1 should probably also be removed from unstable, IMHO.
If you agree, do you want to file a request for removal against
ftp.debian.org?

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek