Re: Can a new ClamAV be considered for sarge?

This one time, at band camp, Moritz Muehlenhoff said:
> In gmane.linux.debian.devel.release, you wrote:
> > Since version 0.84 of clamav made it into sarge, upstream has (again)
> > done some work on the scanning engine, which means that certain
> > signatures retrieved by the clam updater are not usable by the version
> > of clamav in sarge.  This doesn't render the version in sarge useless -
> > it still uses most of the signatures, just not those of the newest type.
>
> But in that case it should be removed from Sarge; it gives a false sense
> of security.

I raised this idea months ago on -devel, and was shouted down for saying
that fast moving targets might not be supportable in a stable release.
It was already my intention to work with the people managin volatile,
and as for what is releasing (or not) with sarge, I will do my best for
it, but it will of course be rapidly sub optimal.  Witness woody's
spamassassin.

Steve, whatever you think is best for these packages.  So far the
inclination has been to release them anyway, so I guess I am not asking
to rock the boat.  This seems to me to be a discussion that really needs
to happen for etch, what ever we do today.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |