Re: Upgrading to postgresql bug fix release 7.4.8

Hi again!

Martin Pitt [2005-05-12 21:40 +0200]:
> I'm currently fixing some important (and other) bugs in the postgresql
> package, which I'd like to see in Sarge. I'll mail the details when
> the package is ready, but so far I wanted to ask whether you would
> accept the new usptream version 7.4.8 in Sarge? 7.4.8 only contains
> critical and important bugfixes, no new features whatsoever (I paste
> the changelog below).

I now uploaded 7.4.8-1 into Sid, with the new upstream bugfix
microrelease and some important (as well as trivial) Debian bug fixes:

postgresql (7.4.8-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Urgency medium: Only important and trivial fixes which must reach Sarge.
  * New upstream version; includes the security fixes from 7.4.7-6 and lots of
    medium to high critical bug fixes.
  * Removed the following patches (included upstream):
    - debian/patches/50CAN-2005-0247
    - debian/patches/51CAN-2005-1409
    - debian/patches/52CAN-2005-1410
  * debian/postinst.in: db_security_update_CAN_2005_1409_1410(): Do not fail
    completely if the security update cannot be applied to a single data base,
    but rather print an error message for this database. Closes: #307888
  * debian/po/pt_BR.po: Fixed some typos, thanks to Andre Luis Lopes.
    Closes: #308328
  * debian/preinst.in: Also save libraries in /var/lib/postgresql/lib.
    Closes: #307693
  * debian/postgresql-startup.in: Fixed handling of stale and invalid PID
    files. Closes: #304861
  * debian/postinst.in: Print the output of the start command. Closes: #305717
  * debian/postinst.in: Only start, not restart the server; at configure time,
    the server is already stopped.
  * debian/postinst.in, debian/postgresql-startup.in: Check whether locale is
    actually valid before attempting to start initdb/postmaster under it.
    Closes: #253913
  * debian/patches/03initdb_for_debian: Add --debian-autostart to initdb,
    which is invoked in maintainer scripts, where the postmaster is started
    automatically and no "how to start" message is appropriate; however, show
    the message when calling initdb directly. Closes: #308686

I would really appreciate to see this in Sarge. Do you accept this? If
not, which parts would you accept, so that I can prepare a package for
t-p-u?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Martin
--