Re: Please push libsaxon-java into sarge

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 01:31:05PM +0200, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:

> >It also includes this orthogonal change:

> >  * Removed conflicts, provides, replaces lib-saxon-java which will be
> >    remove from the archive.

> >If and when the ftpmasters remove lib-saxon-java, they will remove it from
> >testing and unstable -- not from stable.  Please readd the conflicts, etc.
> >for sarge, to support smooth transitions from woody.

> There was a conflicts, provides and replaces field - as I understand
> the policy for replacing a package only conflicts and replaces are
> needed for a smooth upgrade. Is this correct ?

Yes, Provides are only really needed in two cases: when you have a virtual
package provided by multiple packages which need to conflict with each
other, and when you have a package which was a dependency of other packages
and need to declare that your new package provides the same interface.

So, the Provides: is most likely not needed, but it also shouldn't hurt
unless lib-saxon-java and libsaxon-java are *not* functionally equivalent.

In any case,

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 06:59:28PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Hi Steve, Hi List, Hi Wolfgang,

> Sat, 7 May 2005 04:13:53 -0700,
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 12:21:32PM +0200, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> >> the libsaxon-java version in unstable fixes an FTBS
> >> due to missing dependency (306775).

> > It also includes this orthogonal change:

> >   * Removed conflicts, provides, replaces lib-saxon-java which will be
> >     remove from the archive.

> > If and when the ftpmasters remove lib-saxon-java, they will remove it from
> > testing and unstable -- not from stable.  Please readd the conflicts, etc.
> > for sarge, to support smooth transitions from woody.

> Done.

> libsaxon-java (1:6.5.3-4) unstable; urgency=low

>   * Reverted conflicts, provides, replaces lib-saxon-java for the Woody to
>     Sarge smooth transition

>  -- Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org>  Sat,  7 May 2005 17:51:37 +0200

> Thanks to accept libsaxon-java 1:6.5.3-4 in Sarge,

Done.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek