Re: Please push libsaxon-java into sarge

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 01:31:05PM +0200, Wolfgang Baer wrote:

[...]

There was a conflicts, provides and replaces field - as I understand
the policy for replacing a package only conflicts and replaces are
needed for a smooth upgrade. Is this correct ?

Yes, Provides are only really needed in two cases: when you have a virtual
package provided by multiple packages which need to conflict with each
other, and when you have a package which was a dependency of other packages
and need to declare that your new package provides the same interface.

So, the Provides: is most likely not needed, but it also shouldn't hurt
unless lib-saxon-java and libsaxon-java are *not* functionally equivalent.

Thanks for the explanation Steve !

And for the pushed libpgjava I will keep an eye on it.

I don't expect anything as there were no source changes at all.
It was just build against free java and I have really taken care that
all works and done limited testing with free java, jdk1.3 and jdk1.4.
But its quite difficult to test all the different usages of a JDBC
library.

Wolfgang