Re: Upload or not?

Adrian,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:58:30AM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> [please cc: me, I don't read -release]

> In postgrey^s logcheck patterns, I have a made a minor mistake (a single
> occasional message which is not ignored as it should be.)

> I feel silly doing a new upload for a one character mistake, and wouldn't
> bother normally.  OTOH I'd be annoyed if that small error would be released
> with sarge and haunt me the next 2 years...

> Yes, this is essentially a 'how is the release progressing' question - is
> the next release announcement already 'please don't upload anything for
> sarge anymore', or will there be a 'anything that wants to be included in
> sarge, please upload within the next week' announcement?  (postgrey is a
> very simple package in terms of dependencies, so I can pretty much assume
> that a urgency=medium upload will actually progress to sarge after 5 days.)

Since postgrey is now only one day away from reaching testing, you might as
well wait until after today's dinstall before uploading a new version; but
in general, if there are fixes that you consider "must-have"s for a release,
it's better to upload directly rather than waiting for a previous version of
the package to reach testing.

In this case, you do have a little bit of lead time before the freeze to
make another low-urgency upload after the current version of postgrey gets
in, but I won't promise you how much.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer