Re: lush not getting into testing

Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> writes:

> Be patient, and fix some RC bugs. It's a BSP this weekend. Lush hasn't
> ever been in stable, and isn't in testing at the moment, so it's a new
> package.

Actually, in point of fact, the reason the relevant bug was filed
against ftp.debian.org was to *fix a release critical bug in lush*
(234501).  This is part of the bugfix.

It's not helpful to say "fix RC bugs".  When I *do* that task, and
yet, golly, the fix can't take effect.  Why bother, one wonders?

> Of the list of things that need to happen on sarge to make it
> release-worthy, the addition of the new 'lush' package is quite low on
> the list, it might be nice to have it in sarge, but for an 'extra'
> package with 4 users according to popcon it isn't something worth IMHO
> of wasting inappropriately much release time over (note that this is
> debian-release@l.d.o), especially since -release can't do anything about
> it.

[The unofficial list at http://people.debian.org/~aba/sarge.html
 doesn't show any release updates since September, so I'm unable to
 evaluate which things are on "the list of things that need to happen"
 and which are not.]

I would hope that -release is the right place to discuss how to get
the release ready; one of the tasks we need is processing of this
priority important bug.  Release includes the inclusion of new
packages.  It's not the most important thing, but it is one thing.

> There is an open bug, open bugs are not forgotten, lower priority ones
> just might take a longer while to get solved.

Solved?  Puhleeze.  What you are saying, in response to my question,
is "there is no right approach."  Is that really a good answer?  It
takes all of, oh, five seconds to issue the necessary rm command.

Thomas