Re: Any chance of getting a more recent thunderbird into Sarge?

Steve Langasek wrote:

Is there anything that can be done to get a newer release in Sarge, or
is it just going to take a few more days?  It would be great if we could
get 0.8 in there, but even a 0.7.3 would be nice.  I notice that 0.7.x
and 0.8 do fix various security issues also.

Being current on all architectures the package has previously been built
for is a requirement for getting updates into testing.  I think there is
also a question of whether the mips/mipsel binaries now in unstable are
usable; this is at least the case for mozilla and (IIRC)
mozilla-firefox.
AFAIK, 0.8-2 should be okay on mips/mipsel. I added the remove of -xgot patch provided by Thiemo Seufer. See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=272162.

BTW, what is about mozilla? mozilla is much more critical for sarge than thunderbird or firefox and has still some RC and security bugs open that are fixed by the latest upstream release.

FWIW, there are now current thunderbird packages on mips, and the
package is building on m68k.  The best strategy for getting an update
into sarge is to avoid gratuitous re-uploads of the package.

Reuploads are no fun for me either. Nevertheless, thunderbird had security issues that are fixed 0.8 ... thus I had no choice!

--
GPG messages preferred. |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
Alexander Sack          | : :' :      The  universal