Re: packages which dropped some archs

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:44:46PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> during the last days, I had the chance to consider a bit about the
> situation of packages that are held up from getting a current version
> into sarge because they dropped support for an arch, but that arch is
> not removed by the ftp-masters. Currently, these packages don't go
> into sarge. However, I personally would prefer to allow these package
> to enter sarge soon, because that would give us more time to detect
> any bugs in relation with other packages in sarge (even though the
> optimal solution would of course be if a ftp-master would drop the
> binaries from sid, instead of a release manager to force packages
> through).

The problem in the general case is that someone needs to make a decision
whether out-of-date binaries for a package should be removed, or if they
represent buginess in the newest package that should be fixed before
it's allowed into a release.  I'm not keen on making these decisions
without the imprimatur of the ftpmasters.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer