Re: status of postgresql for sarge?

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 10:15, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Re new upstream package, it would be *very* nice if you would be able
> to test and smoothen the upgrade path from woody-pg to sarge-pg (sid-pg)
> as well.  I've done a release upgrade before which resulted in a complete
> desaster with the daemon not even starting.  I've heard reports from other
> people who experienced at lest critical problems with an upgrade as well,
> contrary to my hope that my problems were triggered by sunsport or something
> less common.

In order to smooth the upgrade path we would really need to change the
woody package; this is not a security issue, so it falls outside normal
policy for woody updates.

The problem is that the current upgrade seeks to use the binary of the
old package to do a dump of the database contents.  Once upon a time,
this was done in the preinst, but with the introdcution of apt, that
became impracticable, because apt would often remove the old package
before the new package's preinst could run.  At present the prerm script
saves the binaries for use by the postinst of the new package.  Since
there have been so many changes since woody, it is now possible for
libraries necessary for the old binaries to run to be removed by apt as
well, therefore even though the old binaries have been preserved, they
will not run.

In order to cure this, we need to change the woody package, either to
force it to do a dump in the prerm or to save all the shared libraries
it needs to go with its binaries for use by the new package's postinst.

Even then, there will be problems for those who don't upgrade woody.
The best solution will be the new PostgreSQL package structure I am
working on, but I am not ready to release that yet.

--
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
LFIX Ltd