Re: Suggestion: Release sarge without security support

* Laszlo Boszormenyi:

>> Why can't we treat security support like a broken package, and remove
>> it if it isn't fixed by its maintainers?

>  Because you miss the point. You remove the package from the archive,
> and not from the users' system. So the users would be still vulnerable,
> and everyone would hate Debian.

I'm not suggesting to carry out security support by removing broken
packages (that's almost impossible after a release, as you correctly
noted).  I'm suggesting to drop security support as a whole, like a
package with a release-critical bug is removed from the release if it
isn be fixed by the maintainers (or someone else who has the
necessarily knowledge and authorization to implement a fix).

No security support means exactly what it says: doing nothing, not
even removing affected packages.