Re: Suggestion: Release sarge without security support

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 19:13 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Andre Lehovich:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> Why can't we treat security support like a broken package, and remove
> >> it if it isn't fixed by its maintainers?
> >
> > The security team are doing a great job supporting Woody.
>
> But only if the basic infrastructure to do their job is in place.  If
> there isn't a full set of buildds, they are screwed.  (AFAIK, we don't
> have a full set of security buildds for neither sarge nor woody right
> now.  Not the fault of the security team, of course.)

This brings up something that has bothered me for months.

Help me out here. I'm not a debian developer, but I'm an avid user
(since slink), and a believer in the concept. What really annoys me is
that there is a tyrrany of the minority in Debian.

How many people are running Debian on MIPS? What about on s390? Lets
face it, its hard to get things to work exactly right on what, 11
architectures?

If you remove security, the users will never forgive you.

If you remove MIPS, and s390, and maybe 1 or 2 other obscure and problem
ridden arches, the users will praise you, and probably those few that
needed those arches will understand.

I'm willing to wait for Debian's stable releases. They are glorious and
legendary in their correctness. But please please *please* stop this
madness.

--
Clint Byrum <cbyrum@spamaps.org>