Re: xerces not-for-us problem persists but no longer release issue

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:00:21AM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> Graham Wilson (also in debian-xml-sgml-devel) has kindly uploaded a
> powerpc binary of xerces24 thus allowing it to presumably transition
> to testing today.  The long-standing situation of xerces23 and
> xerces24 being bogusly in not-for-us for some platforms still remains:

> http://people.debian.org/~igloo/status.php?packages=xerces23%2Cxerces24%2Cxerces25%2Cxerces26&arches=

> though all packages are now built on all architectures thanks to
> manual builds.

> For what it's worth, there are a few cosmetic problems with the
> xerces{23,24,25} packages that I'm not bothering to create uploads
> for.  These are fixed in xerces26.  After sarge is released, I'm
> planning on making some largish changes to how the xerces packages
> work, at which point I will once again bang my head against this
> problem.

> Any help in resolving the not-for-us issue would be appreciated.  All
> (numerous, polite) messages to the appropriate parties have gone
> without replies.

I tried to ask Ryan about this at one point on IRC, but the message could
easily have gotten lost.  I haven't been able to think of anything the
powerpc, mips, and mipsel platforms have in common that would explain why
xerces should not be built there but should be built on all other archs; but
to be safe, I hope Graham tested the resulting binaries before uploading
them, to check for any overt brokenness?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer