Re: Classification of some arm builds that are 'Building'

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 03:01:02PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> >   > As long as you're working on arm build issues, this seems like as good
> >   > a time as any to mention that xerces23 and xerces24 are still in a
> >   > false state of Dep-Wait even though the dependency problem that got
> >   > them there has been resolved for weeks.  I've sent multiple polite and
> >   > gentle messages to arm@buildd.debian.org and refuse to resort to more
> >   > hostile tactics because I think they are counterproductive. :-) If
> >   > you're taking on some problems with arm builds and you think it makes
> >   > sense, I'd be quite grateful if you could push a little on this as
> >   > well.  If not, let me know, and I will continue on my current track.
> >   > Thanks.

> >   A fix for the icu28 issue on arm is forthcoming, in spite of the
> >   maintainer's "support".

> This is good to know, but at the moment, the xerces packages depend
> upon an older version of icu.  Basically, I created versions of the
> xerces packages that depended upon icu28 but also included other
> fixes.  When it looked like the lack of icu28 on arm may keep xerces
> and xalan out of sarge, I rolled back only the icu update.  In the
> mean time, the dep-wait wasn't cleared for xerces23 and xerces24
> (though it was on xerces25) in spite of multiple requests.  If someone
> cleared dep-wait right now (with or without resolving icu28 issues), I
> expect that the xerces packages would autobuild on arm based on the
> fact that the previous upload with icu21 autobuilt fine on all
> architectures.

True, but a side effect of getting icu28 fixed on arm is that the
dep-wait setting will become irrelevant. ;)

> If someone got icu28 into sarge with support for all architectures, I
> could reintroduce the icu28 dependency into the xerces packages, but I
> don't want to do that if it will possibly risk not getting the latest
> versions into sarge.  Right now, arm is the only thing blocking
> xerces23, and arm and powerpc are blocking xerces24.  (I'm still
> trying to solve the not-for-us problems with xerces23 and xerces24.)
> xerces25's latest version is already in sarge.

I certainly wouldn't recommend depending on icu28 until its maintainer
gets his act together where porting is concerned.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer