Re: woody->sarge upgrades on mips: glibc vs. kernel

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 08:01:13PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 12:19:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Looking more closely at the mips Package file, I see that you're right
> > -- these kernel image packages don't have the versioned dependency on
> > modutils that others do.  But I don't understand how this can be the
> > case; on other architectures, this dependency is essential because old
> > versions of modutils cannot handle modules from newer kernels.  Are the
> > kernel-images provided for mips and mipsel in sid entirely monolithic?
> No they aren't, although they maybe are less modularized than on other
> archs, e.g. IP22 has SGISEEQ (built in ethernet on that subarch) built
> in - anything else would make no sense. So most users *might* be able to
> upgrade without updating modutilus first anyway [1].

> What exactly are the problems with modutils? It might be far easier to
> provide a modutils backport for woody than new kernel packages (2.4.27)
> that can work with woody's modutils.

> > If not, have they been tested with the modutils from woody?
> At least 2.4.22 works with the modutils from woody (haven't checked a
> newer version yet). This might be an alternative upgrade path, since
> this version works with the glibc in sarge too.

But not a particularly appealing one, since this requires us to keep two
sets of mips kernel sources around for sarge (2.4.22 and 2.4.26(7?)).
Even if this means providing a backported modutils package, I think
being able to use 2.4.27 as the transitional kernel would be preferable.
But if someone can confirm that mips 2.4.27 works with woody modutils,
we may not need transitional packages at all, just instructions on how
to upgrade.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer